search.noResults

search.searching

dataCollection.invalidEmail
note.createNoteMessage

search.noResults

search.searching

orderForm.title

orderForm.productCode
orderForm.description
orderForm.quantity
orderForm.itemPrice
orderForm.price
orderForm.totalPrice
orderForm.deliveryDetails.billingAddress
orderForm.deliveryDetails.deliveryAddress
orderForm.noItems
From our President and CEO Casting Your Vote


In New York City on Sept. 11, 2020, Vice President Mike Pence and former Vice President Joe Biden crossed paths while attending ceremonies honoring the men and women who lost their lives in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. A photo captured the two bumping arms as they briefly chatted.


Under normal circumstances, this would seem natural. Two people who have served as U.S. vice presidents attend 9/11 memorials and engage in friendly conversations. However, 2020 has been anything but normal.


Pence and Biden wore face masks. Tey didn’t shake hands; they bumped arms. All this was done to prevent the spread of the coronavirus as COVID-19 cases and deaths continue to climb in the U.S. Tese two men will wear masks and most likely greet each other with arm bumps if they see one another again this fall. Te pleasantries between them, however, may not be so nice.


As Election Day nears, presidential campaigning will intensify between the Republican incumbent, President Donald Trump, and Biden, the Democrat challenger. It is possible that we may not know the outcome for days or weeks … remember 2000 and the “hanging chad?” Many have said this is the most important election in our lifetime. It very well could be.


To me, every election is important because every election has consequences. Your vote determines what course of action you want our elected officials to pursue. Tis holds true at every level of government — local municipalities, county, state and federal. Rather than listening to the “noise” this election season, do this


instead. 1. Know the issues. What issues are important to you? Where do candidates stand on these issues? Use nonpartisan sources that show a


It was a rare moment that was both surprising and refreshing.


candidate’s stance. Study voting records. If possible, ask the candidates. It is imperative elected officials understand the banking industry’s role in strengthening economic growth.


2. Discuss the issues. Oſten, we can learn more from talking with others. However, we shouldn’t limit these conversations with only those who agree with us. Rather, discussions with individuals who may not hold our views can lead us to consider or understand another perspective.


3. Encourage others to vote. Only 66% of Missouri voters cast ballots in the November 2016 general election. Tis is admirable, but what about the other 34% of Missourians? Tis election, MBA has focused efforts on “Get Out Te Vote” messages and


Max Cook, President and CEO Missouri Bankers Association


encourages banks to do the same. A toolkit at mobankers.com offers resources to share “Get Out Te Vote” messages.


4. Vote. Te polls open at 6 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 3, and close at 7 p.m. Visit sos.mo.gov for more information about voting in Missouri.


Tat moment captured between Pence and Biden at the 9/11 memorial was reminiscent of another time … a time when individuals with opposing views were still courteous and genuinely concerned about one another. It seems that this is a rarity these days.


I don’t know how this election will turn out, but I do know that I will be casting my vote this November. It is my sincere hope that each of you does the same.


THE MISSOURI BANKER 5


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32