Wonderland of Ice in Bridgeport, Conn., converted to LED lighting in 2015.
The following are suggestions to
consider when converting to LED: • Consider a quality manufacturer who
offers a minimum seven-year warranty, has a track record, and is based in the United States. As mentioned, LED is a new, high-bay technology.
• Choose only fixtures that have Design Lighting Consortium/Energy Star approval ratings. One or both designations may be essential in order to receive rebates from your local utility.
• Select an experienced vendor who has worked with ice arenas, since they are not standard high-bay venues.
Nothing else is even close. Zamboni®
overwhelming choice for professional, private and municipal ice rink operators throughout the world.
Efficiency and power without compromise. With both fuel powered and electric options, Zamboni has the machine to meet the tough demands of your facility.
Trusted and proven performers, Zamboni ice resurfacers bring unequalled quality and superior value to the rink every day.
ZAMBONI and the configuration of the Zamboni® ice resurfacing machine are registered trademarks of Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc. © Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc.
ISI EDGE SPRING 2016 9
• Require a point-by-point foot-candle diagram based on the fixtures’ IES file to determine what the foot-candle levels will be at full lumen output when installed. From full lumen output, one can always dim the lights but never increase the output.
• When converting, do a one-for-one fixture replacement if possible. It will help you save on labor and material expenses.
• Select a fixture that has an effective thermal design and optics. Both features play critical roles in the rate of lumen depreciation and uniformity of light levels across the ice surface.
• Pick a 5000k color temperature for best color rendition. It gives players a better view of puck movement.
• Select a durable fixture that won’t break if it happens to get hit by a puck.
Bill Zak is a founder and managing director of IntellEnergy in Darien, Conn. The company has been designing, selling and installing energy
efficient lighting systems for ice rinks and parking garages for over 14 years. He can be reached at email@example.com
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36